Friday, July 04, 2008

Happy Liberal Action Day

On this day of days, such as it is engraved in history's mind, let us celebrate our liberal heritage by honoring two of my favorite patriots: Dr. Joseph Warren and Admiral Elmo R. Zunwalt Jr. They both knew it was not ones perception of themselves that made one a patriot; it was the examples left behind for others to follow that made such men and women patriots.

Dr. Joseph Warren (1741-1775)


















Dr. Warren was one of the most radical and fiery of all the founding fathers. From being of the first physicians to foresee the benefits in small pox inoculation, to publishing the news of the day from a patriot's perspective(he would have been a great blogger), and although being named a General, dieing on the front line in the first battle of the Revolution(Breed's Hill). Thank you for your service, Sir.

Admiral Elmo Russell Zumwalt, Jr (1920-2000)
















This fine patriot followed his Liberal Revolutionary heart first as Chief of Naval Operations in the early 1970's. Admiral Zumwalt ordered the Navy to end racial discrimination. Going as far as to accuse senior officers of ignoring his directives. Then fought for those affected by the defoliate Agent Orange, which he himself ordered the use of in Vietnam. Admiral Zumwalt wrote(In a book co-authored with his son called "My Father, My Son"): "Knowing what I know now, I still would have ordered the defoliation to achieve the objectives it did. But that does not ease the sorrow I feel for Elmo(his son, Elmo III), or the anguish his illness, and Russell's(Elmo III's son) disability, give me. It is the first thing I think of when I awake in the morning, and the last thing I remember when I go to sleep." Thank you for your service, Sir.

4 Comments:

Blogger Adorable Girlfriend said...

How were the holiday celebrations? Did little AG and her kitten see fireworks?!

Tue Jul 08, 02:54:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Elmo said...

yeah, we went to the lake and saw them...

Tue Jul 08, 04:25:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Adorable Girlfriend said...

Sounds like a blast! I am glad my little AG had a nice display and such wonderful parents to take her.

Thu Jul 10, 11:47:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Butchie said...

Just as I thought. Moonbat central over here.

Sun Jul 13, 11:31:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker