Sunday, May 25, 2008

Authoritarians with a Conscience

My ego is finally coming out of it's last stages of grief, 'bout time. But hey, it is what it is. My head has been clear as a result, and allowed me to think in ways not possible during my "anger" stage. More specifically, I'm understanding the vile and hyper-aggressive lunatic fringe of the Obama supporters who's hate for Hillary Clinton has reached galactic proportions. I'm not concerned as much with where they came from, that question has never attracted my attention. What did, though, was an ire awareness that I knew these people, but I didn't at the same time.

Since it is too hot outside, and I've let the kiddos commandeer the television (I almost trashed it during my "anger" stage), I checked the bookshelf for anything I'd bought but had not read, and there found my answer. John W. Dean's Conservatives without a Conscience. I wasn't very far into re-reading it when I realized why, what I call "Obamazooids", seemed so familiar. It was not because of the mean wingnut tactics they used, which I just took as smug childishness, It was more than that. Dean asks Bob Altemeyer, who has shed a great deal of light on the right-wing authoritarian, if there was any such thing on the left. "I have tried to discover the left-wing authoritarian, whom I suspect exists, but apparently in very small numbers." Altemeyer replied. Well, Mr. Altemeyer, I think we've found them, and their numbers are growing.

While not all of the traits posed by the right-wing authoritarians that Altemeyer described could be attributed to the Obamazooids, for obvious reasons, but there is one question I knew they would answer "YES!" to. The right-wing authoritarian version...

Our country desperately needs a mighty leader who will do what needs to be done to destroy the new ways sinfulness that are ruining us.

Edited for the modern left-wing authoritarian...

Our country desperately needs a mighty leader who will do what needs to be done to destroy the neocons' agenda that is ruining us.

I'm asserting, here, that the Obamazooids would give a quick "Hell yes we do!" adding "...and his name is Barack Obama!" My quick answer would be "Hell no!" adding "...if the American people would just get off their fat asses and vote their conscience we could weed out the assholes!" Don't get me wrong, Obama is no authoritarian, but some of his followers are.

The truth is I've never had much use for "leaders", and I've never felt the urge to be one, either. In fact, the times in my life where I had to take charge and lead, it annoyed me. I just don't understand why some otherwise intelligent adults can't get through life without instructions from religious/political/economic leaders, we should be the ones giving our political heroes their instructions, not the other way around. Right-wing authoritarians are extreme hypocrites in this aspect. They claim Liberals have no individual responsibility just for having social responsibility, when they couldn't tie their own political shoes without dear leader's help (notice how they've been running around like chickens with their heads cut off with no clear leader?) The Obamazooids, on the other hand, are authoritarians with a conscience. At least they want to do the right thing.

Now, I'm not saying the Obamazooids are anything like classic communists, just that it is a distinct possibility that if this group got too big and powerful, we would have a lot of trouble on our hands. And, of course, I'm not saying they are any kind of "evil" just for being left-wing authoritarians (except, so far, in regards to attacking the Clintons). My point is we need to keep this country as close to the Liberal assertions on the Declaration of Independence as possible, but as far away from whatever authoritarian faction presents itself. They're all dangerous.

7 Comments:

Blogger Adorable Girlfriend said...

There are so many questions in this debate about these folks.

I too am not one for authority. It sounds good until you get it.

Great new blog friend to check out:

http://angryforareason.blogspot.com/

Tue May 27, 12:23:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would you explain further who you mean by Obamazoids? Do you mean Olbermann? Or somebody else? What makes them zoids? What, exactly, sent you over the top in this post?

As for leadership, we've seen what a lack of it can do to a country: we're swirling down the toilet. Nobody needs authoritarians of any stripe (and I've yet to meet an Obama supporter that wants one, though I imagine there are some out there somewhere), but we need people who talk about ideas because they're right, and not because they poll-tested well.

Wed May 28, 04:51:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Elmo said...

Obamazooid n.

1. a. An organic partisan or organized group that has independent movement within the Obama campaign, especially a motile gamete such as a spermatoloon.
b. An independent animal like partisan produced asexually, as by budding or inspirational speaking.

2. One of the distinct Obama individuals forming a colonial partisan such as a wingnut or chickenhawk.

Obamazooid'al adj.

Wed May 28, 08:07:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Elmo said...

What sent me over "the edge" anonym? I guess I'd have to say...capitulation. LOL! Ok, enough BS.

There was a sort of surrender, though. Although familiar, it was still allusive.

I have witnessed it. Although not a scientific study, real life among a small face to face group is all I have. But that makes it no less real. To the extent to which "Obamazooids" are growing...I have no clue. I just assume it is so because it is in my life. Typical, I know.

I would like to see a study on the subject, though. My hypothesis is that they are disgruntled authoritarians that see the light, in a sort of 'rat's leaving the ship' sort of way.

They brought their hatred for Hillary with them ( not that there are not plenty on this side that hate her,it seems ). They don't want to be losers. They can't even remember supporting the war, or the tax cuts during war. But they remember hate...yes they do...

Wed May 28, 08:47:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm confused. Sorry to say, that's not an uncommon state for me to be in these days.

Obamazoids are ex-neocons or ex-republicans?

I thought the term applied to democrats who were blindly following Obama "no matter what".

You're saying they came to be an Obama follower because their political ideas have had recent history prove them wrong?

Originally, I was in the "anybody but Bush2" crowd. Hell, I even looked at Ron Paul for a while because he, at least, was talking about the real reasons we are in Iraq. I'll take truth wherever I can find it, these days.

I became an Obama follower only after the Wright mess. Until then, either Obama or Clinton was fine with me. And I still think they both state things of value to the country as a whole. I'm a feminist so it absolutely angered me to have to choose between these two people.

In the end, I became an ObamaMomma (not zoid) because I truly believe he's our best chance for the radical change of direction this country has to tackle if we are to have any hope of saving our democracy from fascism. Yeah..I said it. The "F" word from the sixties. But, this ole' hippie sees the attack on democracy for what it is.

My feminism and wish to see the first female candidate in office has to take a backseat to my love for democracy. I believe Obama speaks to the better part of our natures and whether he truly believes what he says is, for me, secondary to how that untapped humanity in all of us is so very needed right now.

I hope your anger fades some, darlin'. Speaking from experience, it can have positive results in the short-term but it will have longterm negative impact.

Best wishes,
Menopausal Mick

Sun Jun 01, 11:36:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Adorable Girlfriend said...

Mick, to answer your initial question -- they are Obamabots!

Sun Jun 01, 12:59:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay...that makes sense then. You can tell how new to blogging I am!

A good many blogs speak in "codes" so in addition to having to master ding dang computer mumbo-jumbo like pingedybacks and such...I have to wade thru relatively new political code like "bots or zoids".

God, I'm old.

Thanks for the clarification.

Mick

Sun Jun 01, 01:36:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker