Monday, September 18, 2006

The Prevention First Act of 2006














Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (Nev) will introduce The Prevention First Act soon to try and curve the amount of abortions taking place in America, about 1.37 Million per year. The bill targets women under 25, who make up over 50% of the abortions in America.

The bill would prohibit group health plans from excluding contraceptive drugs, devices and outpatient services if they cover the cost of other prescription drugs and outpatient services. It would also require the secretary of health and human services to disseminate information on emergency contraception to healthcare providers and require hospitals receiving federal money to provide emergency contraception to victims of sexual assault.

The bill would also mandate that federally funded programs provide information about contraceptives that is medically accurate and includes data on health benefits and failure rates.


I can't wait for this vote. We'll get to see how many conservatives actually want to prevent abortions and how many just want to throw young heathen women in jail.

3 Comments:

Blogger John Good said...

I was surprised to see no comments on this one yet! Where did all the chickenhawk lurkers run off to??

Abortion should be legal. . .and rare. This sounds like a giant step in that direction. I agree, it will be very interesting to watch the votes on this one!

Mon Sep 18, 06:42:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Elmo said...

Just you and me on this one John...everyone else is scared.

I heard some congressman in the house is proposing a bill to support women after they get pregnant as an option to abortion. We'll see.

Mon Sep 18, 09:09:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Enemy of the Republic said...

The conservatives are so weird on this issue. I don't support abortion, and I've never made a secret of it, yet to deny contraceptives or even the morning after pill is just insane. If I thought they truly cared about issues of life, that would be one thing, but look at the public schools, health care, the poverty in our cities. I don't want unborn children to die, but they deserve to live in a decent world. And contraceptives is not against God's will---the be fruitful and multiply was when there were only 2 known humans on the planet. Anyway, thanks for coming by my blog and I'll visit again. I especially appreciated your comment on the grunts. I wrote one back but blogger ate it. My husband served and I know that he is just totally disgusted with how the military is perceived. Anyway, let me stop before I get really irrelevant here.

Tue Sep 19, 09:37:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker