Thursday, August 25, 2005

What the Army Didn't Teach You









I get an email from military.com when new articles come out, being a recipient of a disability check and all. I've never blogged about anything they've sent me for some reason...but I am now. This was in the text of the email I received on August 16th...

Sure, the Military taught you how to run fast, shoot well, and stomach MREs, but we bet they didn’t teach you how to use your benefits to save money.

No, they didn't, and many veterans who don't research their benefit options miss out on recourses that could make their lives a lot easier. And they do deserve it. I injured my eye. I was better than 20/20 before I got hurt and am just a little less than 20/20 now. I don't even need glasses, but I have a high risk of glaucoma...or so they tell me. I have great insurance from work so I don't need to use most of the benefits I'm offered. I'm lucky, most infantry vets are not.

Wouldn't it be nice if receiving veterans benefits was seamless, you know, offered to vets whether they knew they were eligible or not. Well, the government has to save money somehow.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give Me Some Attitute
Op-Eds :: Give Me Some Attitude Lively conversations about sports and politics thrive in blogs as well as on TV and call-in radio.
Isn't it cool having your own blog right? I'm very proud of my own which is about niche marketing definition.

Thu Aug 25, 08:11:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Permalink
Posted by Evan Derkacz at 3:38 PM on August 25, 2005. Time admitted to withholding a story it thought would effect the election.
Very informative blog site. Added to bookmarks.

I have a Hunter Ceiling Fan Part site/blog. It pretty much covers Hunter Ceiling Fan Part related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time.

Thu Aug 25, 08:39:00 PM CDT  
Blogger phinky said...

Damn, you have a problem with spambots. Blogger now has a feature you can enable so people visiting your blog have to type in a code before posting a comment. So anyhow I surfed in from Atrios and wanted to say that yes getting VA to pay up on benefits can be, well, a bitch. I get a disability check from VA too, but getting them to validate my enrollment for the GI Bill is like pulling teeth with rusty pliers and no novacaine or laughing gas. Good luck.

Thu Aug 25, 08:47:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Elmo said...

I've used up me G.I. bill phinky, but ya, it was something close to pulling teeth.

Thanks for the spam advice.

Fri Aug 26, 12:27:00 AM CDT  
Blogger phinky said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Come back and visit often.

Fri Aug 26, 06:45:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Elmo said...

I most defiantly will

Fri Aug 26, 08:07:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker